Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Royal Mugshots, a.k.a. Queen Elizabeth Cake

I'm not entirely sure why, but last week I woke up and decided I wanted to make a Queen Elizabeth cake. That might not seem so out of place until I tell you that I've never had a Queen Elizabeth cake. All I knew was that it involved coconut on the top. Now I also know that dates are required, as are walnuts, though they could easily be left out, I suppose, or replaced with another nut (like a pecan or a hazelnut). I'm not sure if my version tastes the way it is supposed to, but it sure is tasty nonetheless. The cake is reminiscent of a spice cake (though there aren't any spices in it beyond vanilla and the walnuts!) and the topping, a boiled coconut and brown sugar frosting, is very like a toffee. Plus, start to finish, this only takes about 10 minutes which is always a bonus when it comes to unexpected cravings for sweets. Especially ones we've never had!

While searching the internet for ideas and recipes, I was able to find out a few things about this cake in a historical context. Firstly, no one is really sure why it is called a Queen Elizabeth cake. It does appear that the recipes started popping up around the time of the Second World War, and a number of stories imply that this recipe was supposed to be used for fundraising purposes, be it for the war effort or church parishes. One story went so far as to say that it was given this name because this was the only cake that the Queen would make herself. However, that leads into the second point I came away with which is that apparently a representative for the Queen has denied that the recipe is hers (I was unable to find that as an actual quote, and am unashamedly passing on the hearsay as I got it). I am now almost as confused as to the origin of this cake as I was to begin with, but that didn't keep me from making it.

I have modfied this to keep it simple and quick. It does take a little longer to put together than the regular Coffee Mug cake, but not by much as the cake (at least) can still all be made in the microwave. The two biggest difference here are that there is no cocoa powder which makes this cake a little lighter than previous versions, but right after Easter, I didn't think anyone would miss it; also this version does not have you put the cake under the broiler, either before or after the frosting has been added. If this offends any purists, my appologies and feel free to do so. The frosting is well worth the extra pot too, but don't take my word for it!

Queen Elizabeth Mug Cake
Serves 2
  • 6-8 dates
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 cup GF flour
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3-4 walnut halves, chopped
  • Dash of Vanilla and Salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons DF butter
  • 2 teaspoons DF cream or milk
For the cake, put the dates in your mug or bowl along with the water and microwave in 20 second intervals, until they turn to mush when stirred with a fork. *NOTE: You can choose to chop the dates first to make it easier to break them up in the hot water, but you don't have to.

Add the flour, sugar, egg, oil, walnut pieces, vanilla and salt; whisk to combine and then cook in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes, till cooked. It will come out looking moist, but don't over cook it. Carefully invert onto plate and allow to cool.



While your cake is cooling, put the coconut flakes, brown sugar, butter and cream into a pot on the stove over medium heat and allow to boil, stirring all the while. Allow it to boil for about 3 minutes being careful so that it doesn't burn, then remove from heat and pour over your cake.

This is delightfully sticky and sugary while still being fairly light. Enjoy!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment