Sunday, April 7, 2013

Taking one for the team... Ugh.

Every now and again, I'll get reminded that there is a reason why I am gluten free. Namely, because it makes me sick as all get out. Those reminders, however, will often come because I'll have done something foolish, like think "One shot won't hurt me!" Ugh...

Case in point: a couple of weeks ago, a bunch of us hit up our local pub after we'd closed up shop on a Friday night. We ran into another of our coworkers who, being on vacation, was there with his girl. A couple of drinks later, he bought us all a round of shots. Sweet! Except that they were Jameson, which is an Irish Whiskey. Whiskey is made of wheat, and that would be why I don't drink it. *sigh* I know better! I should have handed it off or gotten something else, but, I did what I knew I shouldn't have. I drank it. I am so lucky that I just felt loggy and cranky because of a head- and gut ache for a couple of days after and wasn't bed ridden as can happen.

We often think that when we turn something down because it is offered, we'll offend people or look bad. Yes, that can happen, but I know (because of the people involved) that my coworker would not have had any issue! It was my ego that got in the way on that one, not his. Besides, I'm the one who felt sick after, so I have every right, and in fact an obligation to myself, to say No, thanks. We often forget that. We get so focused on being polite or helping others that we lose sight of our need to take care of ourselves too. It can be hard to remember that while your hostess might look a little hurt that you can't try one of her canapes now, she'd be a lot less impressed if you throw up all over her bathroom later!

No comments:

Post a Comment